The Lib Dem conference has revealed some discontent with Ed Davey's leadership and the party's failure to make an impact with a distinctive narrative.
Three names were mentioned as possible alternatives, but I had never heard of them. The only other Lib Dems I knew were deputy leader Daisy Cooper - competent but doesn't look like a leader and Alastair Carmichael, the Orkney and Shetland MP. I only know him because he chairs the Defra committee and is wife is a vet who cares for my Orkney friend's dog.
Liberal leader Jo Grimond was the MP for Orkney and Shetland.
The Lib Dems are the most pro EU party, but they have most of those votes already. They also have probably harvested most of the votes from moderate Conservatives who don't like the Tory shift to the right. It wasn't clear how the announced tax cut was to be funded.
I suppose their best hope is that Labour will need their support after the next election and the price will be PR which Andy Burnham favours.
No comments:
Post a Comment