Tuesday 1 March 2022

The need for caution about economic sanctions

Someone made the point on Twitter that all the experts on Covid-19 are now posing as military experts.  I commented very little on Covid, although I had been involved as deputy PI in a substantial epidemiological project with a prominent member of SAGE.

What I can recommend is anything by my former teaching colleague Professor Mark Harrison who is an expert both on Russia and economic sanctions.  He warns that we should not rely on them too much: https://warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/expertcomment/ukraine_invasion_university?

Elsewhere he has made the point that the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour was prompted by the US cutting off their oil supply in 1940.  They decided to go for broke.

Ever since I served with the now dismantled United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation I have retained an interest in nuclear strategy, including President Putin's notions about credible escalation.  However, rather than offering amateur expertise, I recommend the excellent podcasts on the subject by Julie A McDowall.

She has a book on Nuclear Britain coming out with Bodley Head - there was actually an auction between three publishers!


No comments: