Wednesday 18 December 2019

Will we see the Cap of Maintenance today?

Given that there is a scaled down Queen's speech today in terms of ceremonial I wonder whether we will see the Cap of Maintenance. It was such a long time to the last speech that I feared the moths might have got at it, but it was held aloft with due reverence.

I have never really understood Catholic symbolism in a country that has a nominally Protestant Established Church; it was given to Henry the Eighth by the Pope for his efforts in maintaining the Catholic religion before his breach with Rome. Henry did, however, remain very much a Catholic in his religious observance.

I suppose that reflects some of the contradictions in the Church of England which I struggle with as an Erastian, i.e., a believer in an established church. I realise that position is now under attack even within the CoE. It does mean that I have a right to the services of the Church as a citizen without being a communicant member.

Having been 'head hunted' to be the chair of the Friends of the local Parish Church, my position becomes even more contradictory. The task of the Friends is to involve people who are not members of the congregation in helping to preserve its fabric: it was built with a very soft sandstone and is larger than some cathedrals.

It is also being used more for community events, so we screened the Life of Brian, which caused a bit of a media storm, and hosted the opening concert of Fairport Convention's summer tour.

I feel some obligation to attend services on major feast days, but they are usually Mass or Holy Communion (sometimes one gets choked with incense, other times there is none) which makes it all a bit pointless for me.

10.58: I have just seen the Cap of Maintenance leaving Buckingham Palace, in its own (horseless) vehicle.

11.02: Correction, it is sharing a vehicle with the sword of state, the crown has its own vehicle.

No comments: