Friday 31 January 2020

Was Dave Cameron the worst prime minister ever?

Donald Sassoon does not sit on the fence in this scathing review of David Cameron's memoirs: The worst British prime minister ever.

I must admit I have not yet finished the rather long memoirs. I did go the launch event at the Barbican and was rewarded with a 'signed' copy of the book. It looked like a rubber stamp to me.

I think that one of Dave's biggest problems was that he never thought through the consequences of a particular course of action. He could never see more than a couple of moves ahead. On a personal level, I liked him, but one could dismiss that as smooth Etonian charm.

Like most memoirs, it is a rather self-serving book and he doesn't really explain some of his actions. However, 'the worst prime minister ever' is a competitive league, even if one restricted oneself to the period since the First World War. Sir Anthony Eden would surely merit consideration.

Of course, the real charge against Dave from hard core remainers is the Brexit referendum. Dave argues that it would have been inevitable sooner or later and I am inclined to agree.

I voted remain and I regret the decision that was taken. But I have seen enough of the EU close up to be 'sceptical' (in the original meaning of the word) about it as an institution. It's hardly impressive that it allowed a dysfunctional Common Agricultural Policy to absorb so much of its budget. Unlike hard core remainers, I am ready to move on, albeit it with some misgivings.

No comments: